Planning permission – Is it a minefield or a goldmine? 

Why do you need it?

Planning permission will be required if you are building a new development, if you are changing the use of a building, or are making substantial changes to your home.  The planning process is in place to make sure that inappropriate developments are not constructed.

Some minor works can be undertaken without planning permission and this is called Permitted Development.

Permitted Development

Permitted Development (PD) rights date back to the 1940’s. They were introduced to allow home owners to undertake minor alterations to their properties without the burden of planning permission.  Most houses have rights to make changes under PD but some houses will have had their PD rights removed.  The types of changes you can make will vary and will depend if your house has been extended previously, is within a conservation area, or with an area of outstanding natural beauty.

How much does a planning application cost?

Planning fees are the same across the country. If you are building an extension or making alterations to your home a planning fee will be payable to your local authority.  The fee for a householder application is currently £206.

If you are building a new home the planning fee is £462.

How is my application decided?

Usually a planning officer will have the authority to make a decision on a planning application.  They will assess your proposals against what they call material considerations.  These include;

  • Impact on neighbours such as overshadowing or overlooking
  • Parking and access
  • Proximity to trees
  • Appearance
  • Scale
  • Noise
  • The impact upon a conservation area or listed building.

To book an appointment to explore the possibilities your home has to offer, please call our Harrogate office on 01423 505924 or for York call 01904 217190